Cannot access device

adams419adams419
edited October 2012 in InfraSensing Sensors
I can't seem to access my sensor gateway any more. I was able to do so a few weeks ago after I statically defined an IP address on the unit. It would not work with DHCP. I was unable to get it to send emails or to sync its time with any NTP server. The unit would sit next to my desk and flash its LEDs but was basically inoperable.

I decided to start working on this project again. I reset it to factory settings and now it will not respond to pings or http requests. I have isolated it and a laptop on a small 10/100 switch. The laptop and device both link to the switch at 100Mbps.

I downloaded and ran the Microchip Ethernet Device Discoverer and it will not see the device.

The device lights are both blank.

We had problems with this unit ever since we purchased it. It was returned and after a month we finally got it back and it is still not operating as advertised.

What would be my next steps for troubleshooting the source of the problem?

Comments

• adams419adams419
    Are there any suggestions on the next steps to try for troubleshooting this device?
  • James.CartJames.Cart
    Adams,

I noticed you said you isolated this device onto a small 10/100 switch.

This might very well be the reason why you are not getting any lights on the device now. Unless your 10/100 switch is pushing power over ethernet, you will need the optional power supply for the sensor.

Hope that gets you back on track.

James
  • adams419adams419
    Thanks for the reply. I do have an AC adapter for the unit.

It was operational using the AC Adapter when I first started working with the unit, then after resetting the unit all it will do is:
    • power on (Online and Sensor LEDs light solid for about 2 seconds and then go dark)
    • Left LAN LED goes solid orange for about 10 seconds then starts blinking steadily
    • Right LAN LED goes solid green and stays that way

Any other ideas?
  • James.CartJames.Cart
    1. Check your ethernet cables

2. Check your power cable

3. Replace your ethernet cables just to test

4. Replace your power block just to test

5. Try a PoE injector instead of the power block

If you're isolated to a basic switch and are not getting communications, I'd check your ethernet cables. It's possible you'll still get LED activity if one or two pair is making contact, but if something is broken in the line, it could disrupt or kill communication traffic.

If your cables check out, I'd test the power brick supplying power with a multimeter. If it's out of acceptable range, that too could cause issues with the device. Something in the lines of low power or high power, like a surge could cause the device to fail. Also try using a PoE injector, commonly found with VoIP phone systems, instead of the external power supply.

If the power is within range and the cables are good, and you still cannot communicate with it, my gut tells me it failed somehow and needs to be replaced instead of repaired.

If it does indeed need to be replaced, once you get a new device, I would examine your environment before you deploy it. Check for anomalies that could cause failures. Look for things like over or under voltage at power outlets, missing or faulty ground connections, high or low temperatures, moisture contact, static or radio fields; ANYTHING that could muck with this thing.

Test your new device in your isolated switch lab before deployment.
This discussion has been closed.