ODBCSQL failing intermittently

lancelance
We monitor 2 MS SQL servers and 1 Oracle server using ODBCSQL and a query. This is failing sometimes and the status will go up and down. This is a new ServersCheck installation but has been running for about 30 days.

The error returned from both MS SQL servers is :

Reason: Error: [911] [] "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_DBC failed

The Oracle query is working fine.

Both servers report up and down when this occurs and never one server only.

While ServersCheck reports it down I can run the query manually on both servers and it returns the results ok.

I can even go to ServersCheck and click on the Test Settings button and it returns ok but the monitor says it is down.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    The error returned is one by MS and captured by ServersCheck. You may want to check with MS support for the specific error and how to fix it.
  • lancelance
    I restarted the servers check monitoring service the and problem is gone. That indicates it may be related to servers check.
    The error is reported by the SQL driver from ServersCheck. If it were ServersCheck then the error message would have been different.
  • lancelance
    Please explain why when clicking on the Test Settings button it returns OK status even when the monitor displays down. I understand there could be a timing issue but I tried several times while the monitor was down.

This seems to indicate there is a difference in the check from the test button and the main monitor service check.
    See Microsoft's explanation on the error message:

During SQLConnect, the Driver Manager called the driver's SQLAllocHandle function with a HandleType of SQL_HANDLE_DBC and the driver returned an error.

The Driver manager is a Microsoft driver, not a ServersCheck component. It is the driver that returned an error.
  • bdshipleybdshipley
    The question still remains though, Why is it that when we reboot our ServersCheck server the problem goes away? We certainly aren't rebooting our SQL Clusters. Our in house applications that make SQL calls, don't receive alerts. I'll buy the fact that it's a Microsoft issue, but why is ServersCheck's picking up this issue?
    That is apparently due to ServersCheck utilizing the driver that's giving an error.
This discussion has been closed.