Issues before purchase

stevoawstevoaw
I have been evaluating Serverscheck for the past two days before purchasing the full version by using the freeware version. I would like to make sure of a few things before I make the purchase of the full version. First of all I have noticed that there is no log off option on the freeware version. This would be a very important feature for us for going between an admin and user. Second of all I noticed that when I create a report and click show graph nothing appears. Also, sometimes when devices are deleted they stay around until we delete them five or six times from both all monitors view and device view. Are these just functions that are absent/not working from the freeware version and are present/working in the full version?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    When you close your browser you close the session. This is a Basic Authentication and not a web form login.

Nothing appears: empty graph or no graph at all? Have the right elements been chosen?

Devices are removed at the next refresh. If a device is deleted but still with monitors linked to it, then the device will remain visible until all linked monitors have been removed.
  • stevoawstevoaw
    No graph at all shows. I have three monitors set up. Each of them is a ping only. They go to two access points and a router. On the device view they show the statistics of the pings. When I create the report I go to create trend analysis, pick the device name, monitor type - PING, graph type - response. After I set the time to run the report (I chose the past hour) nothing appears except the greyed out option to automatically refresh this graph.
    Is the monitoring service running?

Graphs are created automatically after a couple of minutes
  • stevoawstevoaw
    The monitoring service is running and I see the ping response times in the all monitors view. Where is the graph supposed to be shown? I am trying to make a line graph with a line for each piece of hardware representing ping response times so that I can see if there is a correlation between when ping times spike.
    See following screen capture:

http://static.srvrschck.com/images/screenshots85/screen_85_1.jpg

It shows a graph icon next to the monitors.

If you don't have such a graph icon, then most probably the graphing engine is not running.

To check the graphing engine perform following action:

1) Go to the command prompt

2) In there go to your serverscheck directory

3) Type following

net stop serverscheck

4) Now type following

s-graphs > debug.txt

5) Let it run for 5 minutes

6) Reply with the content of the debug.txt and then information sent to the console window
  • stevoawstevoaw
    My all monitors view does have that icon and when clicked it shows the default ping graph of the past 24 hours. It does not show my report from the last hour I created and saved nor does it show the other server's ping response times in that graph.

I am logged into the server as administrator.

C:Program Files>cd serverscheck_monitoring

C:Program FilesServersCheck_Monitoring>net stop serverscheck

The ServersCheck Monitoring Service service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:Program FilesServersCheck_Monitoring>s-graphs > debug.txt

Access is denied.

C:Program FilesServersCheck_Monitoring>
  • stevoawstevoaw
    I tried it again and it ran successfully. I will send in a few minutes.
  • stevoawstevoaw
    Should it have stopped by itself? I stopped it after 5 minutes as instructed and checked debug.txt. It was empty.
    The Monitoring Service was not running so of course no graphs where being generated.

You get an access is denied which means that you have some kind of a security issue (user rights) on your system.

You will need to speak to your Windows system admin to get it correctly installed. It needs full admin rights in order to operate.
  • stevoawstevoaw
    The first time I ran it I made a mistake by rdp'ing into the wrong server. The second time I ran it successfully, but after 5 minutes when I hit ctrl c to stop it and checked debug.txt it was empty.
    As stated previously, no graphs were produced because the monitoring service was not running.

To start the monitoring service see user manual:

http://wiki.serverscheck.com/index.php/Starting_ServersCheck
  • stevoawstevoaw
    I followed these instructions, but it already looked like both were running.

What is shown when you click on the graph icons ?

Are the graphs empty?
  • stevoawstevoaw
    It only shows the default 24 hour ping graph that was there before i created the custom report for that piece of equipment only. The graphs I have tried to create are the past 1 or 2 hours and include multiple pieces of hardware.
    If you do it for one element only, does the graph then show correctly?
  • stevoawstevoaw
    If I make the report for one element only it does show correctly.

Although, while doing this I found that when I go back into a previously created report to edit it all elements' settings are reset to null. When I try to choose the right settings again for each element the dropdowns are not being populated. The only way to get around this is to delete each element and create it from scratch.
    And if you do it for the first 2: Silvercreek Router and Silvercreek AP Main ?
  • stevoawstevoaw
    The graph doesn't come up. I get this:

Can you open with notepad the file in the tmp subdirectory of ServersCheck. File is called SilvercreekPingResponse.bat

Please reply with the content of that file
  • stevoawstevoaw
    C:serverscheck_databasesrrdtool.exe graph "C:Program FilesServersCheck_Monitoring/outputgraphssch-SilvercreekPingResponse.gif" -s -1h -u 1 -h 200 -w 500 -v "Ping" -t "Silvercreek Ping Response " DEF:line1=C:serverscheck_databases12913183261350PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line2=C:serverscheck_databases12913184181861PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line3=C:serverscheck_databases1291318579996PING-value.rrd:response:MAX LINE1:line1:"PING (value) on Silvercreek Router" GPRINT:line1:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line2:"PING (value) on Silvercreek AP Main" GPRINT:line2:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line3:"PING (value) on Silvercreek AP Rm. 1" GPRINT:line3:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" COMMENT:n COMMENT:n COMMENT:"" COMMENT:"Graph created on Thu Dec 2 16:23:44 2010 by ServersCheck Evaluation & Freeware Edition "
    When running above from the command prompt, it returns an error that no color was selected for PING (value) on Silvercreek Router

Can you recreate your graph and make sure that a color is selected?
  • stevoawstevoaw
    I recreated the report this time making sure to choose a color. I get the same screen with no graph as before. Does this have anything to do with the fact that when I go into a report to edit it none of the fields have data anymore? The only way to get data into those fields is to delete each element and recreate it from scratch. Here is the updated file:

C:serverscheck_databasesrrdtool.exe graph "C:Program FilesServersCheck_Monitoring/outputgraphssch-SilvercreekPingTimes.gif" -s -6h -u 1 -h 200 -w 500 -v "Ping Time" -t "Silvercreek Ping Times" DEF:line1=C:serverscheck_databases1291387231PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line2=C:serverscheck_databases1291387289PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line3=C:serverscheck_databases1291387314PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line4=C:serverscheck_databases1291387089PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line5=C:serverscheck_databases1291387338PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line6=C:serverscheck_databases1291387370PING-value.rrd:response:MAX DEF:line7=C:serverscheck_databases1291387401PING-value.rrd:response:MAX LINE1:line1#990000:"PING (value) on Silvercreek AP Main" GPRINT:line1:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line1:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line2#6600CC:"PING (value) on Silvercreek AP Rm. 1" GPRINT:line2:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line2:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line3:"PING (value) on Silvercreek Router" GPRINT:line3:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line3:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line4:"PING (value) on med0934" GPRINT:line4:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line4:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line4:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line4:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line5:"PING (value) on med0936" GPRINT:line5:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line5:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line5:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line5:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line6:"PING (value) on med0937" GPRINT:line6:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line6:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line6:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line6:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" LINE1:line7:"PING (value) on med0938" GPRINT:line7:MIN:"Min %%.0lf" GPRINT:line7:MAX:"Max %%.0lf" GPRINT:line7:AVERAGE:"Avg %%.0lf" GPRINT:line7:LAST:"Last %%.0lfn" COMMENT:n COMMENT:n COMMENT:"" COMMENT:"Graph created on Thu Dec 9 13:41:42 2010 by ServersCheck Evaluation & Freeware Edition "
    We sent you an email requesting some files allowing us to simulate your environment and solve this issue.
    Could you please reply to the email we sent so that we can resolve this issue for you?
This discussion has been closed.