Windows 7 health monitor

bbatchman77bbatchman77
I'm sucessfully monitoring local windows xp machines but have not been able to get windows 7 to allow me access. Also, I've been testing the connection with wbemtest. Is their a trick to get windows 7 to not give access denied?

Comments

• bbatchman77bbatchman77
    WMImgmt.msc did the trick for me. I now can use WbemTest.exe to sucessfully query my windows 7 box from my windows xp box.

However ServersCheck still tells me to check the username and password when trying to do the health monitor. I have it configured with the same user and password and I've told it it's connecting to a windows 7 OS.

Anything else I could have set wrong in the config?
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    Did you set the services to run under a Windows Admin account?

If so, then please run the web server in debug mode and click on TEST SETTINGS for that monitor. Does this work.

Debug mode instructions: http://wiki.serverscheck.com/index.php/Webserver_debug
  • bbatchman77bbatchman77
    Yes, test does work. So I deleted the monitor and created a new on and it works fine now. Only thing is, the old monitor is still there even though i deleted it. I've noticed this on other devices also.

How do you clean up the deleted device monitors?
    What version and release are you using?
  • bbatchman77bbatchman77
    evaluation edition 8.7.4
    Upgrade to 8.7.5 to see if that helps.

You can also manually edit the serverscheck.conf file (holding all monitors) and the devices.conf file
    Upgrade to 8.7.5 to see if that helps.

You can also manually edit the serverscheck.conf file (holding all monitors) and the devices.conf file
  • bbatchman77bbatchman77
    I did upgrade to 8.7.5 and I did figure out how to sucessfully delete a monitor however the title bar in IE still reads 8.7.4. so i dont know if it acutally upgraded or not, said it did... Anyway...

All local monitoring is now working to xp and windows 7 machines but I have not been able to hit aything outside of my network yet and am in need of some direction. I've configured the remote 2008 server with the same user name and credentials as i have done locally. I assume that 2008 server config is simular to windows 7 config, anything else special about 2008 server to get RPC server to answer?

Again, I am using wbemtest to troubleshoot with no luck. I have the windows firewalls turned off on everything at this point.

Also, I have forwarded 445 and 135 ports in the hardware firewalls to the 2008 server and my serverscheck server (is this needed?)
    RPC uses dynamic ports and just opening 2 ports won't be sufficient.

Here is a how-to article from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596
    Hello,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps outlined here:

http://wiki.serverscheck.com/index.php/Windows_Errors ?
  • bbatchman77bbatchman77
    Yes, I've read that. I guess to be more direct with my qustion is a vpn required between my 2 locations to be able to do the health monitor? I found this...

"Even though you can configure the port used by the client to communicate with the server, the client must be able to reach the server by its actual IP address. You cannot use DCOM through firewalls that do address translation (e.g. where a client connects to virtual address 198.252.145.1, which the firewall maps transparently to the server's actual address of, say, 192.100.81.101). This is because DCOM stores raw IP addresses in the interface marshaling packets and if the client cannot connect to the address specified in the packet, it will not work."

With that, I believe it's telling us a VPN is required to do the health monitor??
  • bbatchman77bbatchman77
    So, I'm reading that health monitor cant be done without a vpn. And even if u do have a vpn you have to configure the firewall for a bunch of ports which u have to edit the registy of the monitored device to use a range.

Seems like a very unattractive solution to me. Is there any other way, is there a client for serverscheck or some other software that can make dcom reachable without a vpn.

I also want to mention that the post you directed me to with a guy saying it can be done with the hosts file is probably on crack because everyone else says it's not gonna work.
    This typically a feature of MSP alike solutions but they will cost a lot of $$$
This discussion has been closed.