EXTERNAL check on Linux

symbiotsymbiot

Greetings,

I'm currently testing the Serverscheck evaluation software to determine if to purchase and implement the appliance on our network.

All the checks I've tested so far are working great, however I've encountered a snag in configuring an EXTERNAL check on a Linux server, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

This is my issue,

Serverscheck evaluation is installed and running on a Windows XP SP3 PC, 19 monitors currently running.

I would like to execute a script file from my /external directory located on the Serverscheck Windows XP PC that would run a .sh script remotely on the Linux server and

return the result to the monitor.

From what I recall to run remote Linux commands in Windows we would use something like CYGWIN

and use it's bash shell to connect and execute commands but in Serverscheck I have no clue.

Is it even possible with the evaluation software?

Also, how would this type of check work on the appliance if say bash, ssh, passwords, etc; were needed?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Linux, Unix and Macs can be remotely accessed over SSH.

On Windows a popular tool for it is Putty. As this has a GUI it wouldn't work in this case. However you might try Plink - a command line interface to Putty

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Hope this helps
  • symbiotsymbiot
    Thanks Admin.

So I guess I would create a .bat file in the /external folder that contains something like:

plink -v user@host ./path/to/sh/script/sh.sh

interesting...I'll give a try and let you know

how would the appliance handle this?

• AdministratorAdministrator
    The appliance works in exact the same way as a PC. It has XPembedded on board and that means that you can run the same as on a regular PC.
  • symbiotsymbiot
    Hi,

Great, thanks for the info.

So i had a chance to test plink, it connects and runs the script on linux, im just not sure what result the external command in the serverscheck field is expecting.

I created a simple test sh script to display a result=8,

however specifying 8 in the expected output box times-out

the monitor check.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.