Winsock Error

hbcrosbyhbcrosby
Hello!!

I have just installed ServesCheck trial on a WinXP machine. When I attempt to run the software, I get the following error:

=====================================

Failed to load control "winsock" from winsock.ocx. Your version of winsock.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

My XP OS is up to date. Anyone have any advice that may help me with this issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Can you tell me what component you were trying to start?

ServersCheck does not install the winsock.ocx and as such it is a bit odd to see this message related to ServersCheck.

The sock component that ServersCheck installs is mswinsck.ocx
  • hbcrosbyhbcrosby
    Forgive me, you are correct. It is "mswinsck.ocx" After further examination, the error reads:

Failed to load control "winsock" from mswinsck.ocx. Your version of mswinsck.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I get this error when I click on the desktop icon or "Start ServerCheck" on the Programs Menu.

Thanks. A developer is looking into it and I will get back to you within the next hour or so.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    Can you try and locate the mswinsock.ocx component in your system32 directory ( (usually C:WindowsSystem32mswinsck.ocx) and provide me the version of the file (right click with the mouse on the file and then select properties)
  • hbcrosbyhbcrosby

The version is 5.01.4319 from July 19. 1997
    OK. That helps. It seems that some software on your computer has installed a very old version of the file. The latest one release by Microsoft is:

Follow these steps:

1/ Delete the winsock.ocx (usually C:WindowsSystem32mswinsck.ocx) file.

2/ Uninstall ServersCheck

3/ Reboot

4/ Install ServersCheck again

Can you let me know if that fixes your issue?
  • hbcrosbyhbcrosby

Give me about 5 minutes, I'll get right back with you...
  • hbcrosbyhbcrosby

I am up and running! Thank you very much for your assistance. I am a trial user and you have shown me an excellent example of your support!

I believe this product will work well in our environment and I look forward in testing it's capabilities over the next week.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance.

bing crosby
    No problem and thanks for reporting your issue.

Let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
This discussion has been closed.