Monitoring SQL

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
Hi,

I want to monitor that my SQL database is up using the ODBCSQL check.

I have completed the ODBC Connection String - Driver, Servername, Database, Login and Password - and get a staus 'OK' when I run the test. (and a down if the password or database name is wrong).

I'm having problems with the SQL statement though...

I'm wanting just a simple query to the database to ensure its up - nothing more.

But whatever I type in SQL Statement or fieldname returns an 'OK'

Can you give me an example of a statement to use, and at least something to show it is actually querying the DB?

All I prove so far is the login name and password are ok.

Thanks

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    What is your SQL statement and your rule definition?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    I want to use a generic query so I can run the same test on all the SQL databases....so

select name from sysusers where name='dbo'

Every database has a dbo user, so therefore if the check cannot resolve that query the database must be unavailalbe.
    Currently it verifies against a numeric value: meaning you need to enter the field name and the value it is compared against.

In your case, by modifying your SQL statement to a COUNT statement where name = 'dbo' and to set the value to alert on to less than one

Should do the trick.

However I see a good point raised here in terms of either doing a field comparison (like it is now) or a recordset verification (meaning if at least one record is returned then OK otherwise DOWN)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    It worked!

I now get a status reply of 1, and a zero when I take the database offline. - along with the alert the Database is down.

Good work!

Thanks
    Glad it is sorted out. I have asked to improve the help file on this check to make it clearer.
This discussion has been closed.