5.12.0: strange ping results

stephanstephan
Hello!

We are using the Version 5.12.0 with Win XP (german language) and have some strange results:

When pinging some ip's in our network ServersCheck sometimes shows a value of '0 ms' with the status 'OK' and sometimes it shows the same value with the status 'DOWN'.

When I use the Windows-ping at the commandline I've got a result time of '1 ms' - no network errors.

Any help?

Thanks, Stephan

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    When a DOWN is shown, then it means that it has been down 3 times (if you set retry level to 3). It always gives a reason. What is the DOWN reason?

There is a big difference with a Windows PING (=PINGAVG check with ServersCheck) and an internal PING.

A Windows PING is an average of 4 PING's sent to a remote computer. The ServersCheck PING check performs just one ping command and if, for example due to a packet loss, the ping check could not be performed then this results in a DOWN?
  • stephanstephan
    Hello!

The reason is "connection to host timed out" - we have made over 100 checks and all of them failed with this reason (the timeout is set to 100 ms).

When I use "Ping -t wkg1" at the commandline I get no failures over hours - the statistic shows 1ms or 2ms answering time - the maximum is 15 ms and there is no packet loss.

The PINGAVG doesn't work, cause I'm using Win XP with german language.

Greetings, Stephan
    Again a PING windows command is not the same as a PING command within ServersCheck, different byte sizes etc...

We are working on an update of the PINGAVG to Dutch, German and French operating systems. This is scheduled for end of next week.

In the mean time I would increase the retry level if you are 100% that there is no packet loss on your network.
    When you perform following command from the Command Window, what output do you get?

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
  • stephanstephan
    Hello!

This is my output:

"

C:>ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2

Ping wird ausgeführt für 127.0.0.1 mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 127.0.0.1: Bytes=32 Zeit<1ms TTL=128

Antwort von 127.0.0.1: Bytes=32 Zeit<1ms TTL=128

Ping-Statistik für 127.0.0.1:

Pakete: Gesendet = 2, Empfangen = 2, Verloren = 0 (0% Verlust),

Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Mittelwert = 0ms

C:>

"
    Upgrade to release 6.0.1

PINGAVG now works on non-English platforms too.
This discussion has been closed.