Escalation logic

tdanseytdansey
Am I correct that if a support team is scheduled 9am-6pm for example, outside of these hours if a rule goes to alarm status it gets escalated straight to the the escalation team?

If the escalation team doesn't respond/acknowledge in the out of hours period and if the time gets back round to when the support team are active, are they brought back into play or does the escalation take them out of the loop?

If the alarm is within the 9-6 period and is not acknowledged by the first line support does any escalation exclude them from further alarms (or even back on line reports) etc?

Thanks

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    No escalation is only if first team does not acknowledge alert (so it has to have a team being alerted)

Every alarm is dealt with individually (so event per event)
  • tdanseytdansey
    OK thanks.

To put it another way and using a normal 9-6 Monday Friday as an example.

A rule has an alert assigned to it that alerts team A (who work M-F 9-6) and escalates to a member of that team who is on call outside of hours and contained in a second Team that is on call 24/7.

An alert that goes DOWN inside 9-6 I understand the procedure for this.

If it goes DOWN at midnight, as no team is assigned at first level, does it automatically escalate or stay at the low level until the next morning? From your reply, no escalation will take place as a first line is not available?

If this is correct, can I copy this to the wishlist forum :-) ?

I think maybe this means that I need to treat the groups differently. If I make the groups 24/7 and then alter the team members hours of operation I will get the same effect?
    Escalation concept is to have a second alert being sent if no one responds to the first alert.

If no ones is to be alerted in the first alert, then there is nothing to escalate.

You should define in your primary team a 24x7 coverage.
  • tdanseytdansey
    I have been thinking about this quite a lot in the past few days. Is the alert function an area that the development guys are willing to enhane or are we working with more or less what we have?

There are various issues that have occurred in the past week that have not resulted in the correct alarm sent at the time I thought that it would have.

I accept that I can change the teams around but I have found problems doing that.

I also accept that there is a way of doing this that doesn't at the moment appear obvious to me (please don't misunderstand - I am happy with the programme). It may be something ergonomic or it might be me being "thick" but I get the distinct feeling that there might be another way of doing this.

This may be prompted by an SMS that came through at 3am this morning to tell me that an adsl router could not be contacted. In this case it could have waited until 7am... but I am not sure (as mentioned before) if a time window on the rule would serve better for this type of thing rather than trying to arrange team settings to deal with it.

As I say, my caveat is that I am always willing to learn a better way...

Have a pleasant weekend.
    It can be covered by teams settings.

Create 2 teams:

1/ One for the urgent messages -> generating a cell call

2/ One for the less urgent messages -> sending an email

Postponing alerts is something that will not be implemented.
This discussion has been closed.