PINGAVE

tdanseytdansey
Good morning.

Our ADSL link went stale at 4.30 am this morning. We have a rule that uses PINGAVE to check the DNS servers at our ISP.

Most of the other rules will not perform when this rule is DOWN. These rules went to DOWN as did the PINGAVE to the adsl.

However, when I look at the ADSL rule graaph for today I can see a non 0 trace of between 1 and 2ms (varying) for the period that the ADSL rule was down except for a short period around 7.00am.

The ADSL modem showed that there was SHOWTIME but no PPOA so effectively no ADSL.

I am puzzled (again).

Thanks - Terry

p.s. a minor point; I ran update yesterday and downloaded 6.4.4 but 6.5 is showing as the trial download?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    1/ What was the down reason for that rule

2/ See our release notification strategy: existing users will only be informed of a new upgrade when this is being considered stable enough. This notification will happen through through the release newsletter. From that point on the update.exe will also upgrade to the latest release.
  • tdanseytdansey
    1) Request timed out

2) Understood. I just wasn't sure why 6.5 was being used for trialling and 6.4.4 downloaded for the upgrade. I would have thought 6.5 was considered stable if it is being used for the triallists? Not a big thing.
    1) we will have to further investigate it. Might be that there is an issue of last value staying in memory for the graphing. Graphing is a separate process as monitoring itself

2) The purpose of the trials is of course to receive additional feedback aside from our beta users. Once stable enough, our customers are notified
  • tdanseytdansey
    I have emailed the support desk with some graphs attached.

Re the trials; that's fine by me. So long as you don't think that we are nit picking...

Make sure to send following:

- screen captures of the issue in a MS-WORD document

- your serverscheck.conf

- content of your alert logging directory

- debugging output
This discussion has been closed.