Trouble reading Drivespace

pulmerpulmer
We have some trouble in reading the drivespace of our DC. Serverscheck is running under an account with sufficient rights for networkchecks and all other servers give correct drivespace feedback.

In case of the DC, only an OK is returned without any value. Unfortunately it`s not only the numbers missing but the check isn`t performed correct, as it always says OK.

When testing the settings with the real Admin account, the value is shown, but in the end it doesn`t change anything. The serverscheck account has the same rights and both seem to work when testing the settings but later no value can be read of the DC.

As we`re working in a windows domain, there should be no such troubles with accounts and rights associated to them (should be the same across the network). Do you have any suggestions why the check (WMI?) fails this way?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    What do you mean with "DC"? Domain Controller?

If I understand it correctly, then it works on all servers except your "DC" server.

If so, then some setting must be different on your "DC" server in terms of security. The code is the same so that is not the issue. The issue is the end point being monitored.

Test settings work: typically you have started the Configuration Server from desktop thus using the account you are logged into. The Monitoring Service runs as a service and under a different account. That's why it may return different data.
  • pulmerpulmer
    With DC the Domain Controller is meant, correct.

The issue is, that only sometimes the system gives back values. The accounts have equal rights regarding the Active Directory.

I found DCOM errors in the eventlog (ID 10010) regarding llsmgr service couldn`t be registered on the DC. So far I haven`t found the right location to set security settings properly.

The Server is running with my personal login but the Service is running with the serverscheck account which inherrits the same rights as an real admin account.

I`ll try to find out more. Perhaps you can also give me a hint where to set permissions regarding the services and rights needed to poll data from the machines ?
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    DCOM is being used for the the Windows based checks and probably the Windows DCOM component will be the origin for the problem.

If it works with the Server (=Test Settings) but not with the Service then the 2 accounts have some different settings.

Try setting the Monitoring Service to your personal login and see if that works different.
  • pulmerpulmer
    I tried this as well before with the same results. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I stopped all llsmgr processes running on the DC (there where several) and it seems to work now.

As there are known issues with llsmgr running several instances on win 2k systems, I`ll see what happens the next days and give you feedback.
  • pulmerpulmer
    After some hours I now can say it most likely has to do with the metioned llsmgr processes which aren`t closed the way they should be. M$ has some info on that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837174

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889405/en-us

I`ll see if I apply the hotfix on our DC to fix the problem, as patching a DC always makes my stomach ache somehow.

Hope this will solve it and help others that encounter the same problem.
This discussion has been closed.