Service Check Problem

ksmithksmith
I have ServersCheck running on Windows 2003 server. When trying to run a SERVICE check on the local machine, I get the following error: "User credentials cannot be used for local connections." The user account I set the check up with is an admin account on the domain. Also, when I try to run this check on any other host, I get this error: "Error: Automation Error." Other windows checks, such as PROCESS, seem to be working fine using the same account. What is the problem?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    "User credentials cannot be used for local connections" means that you may not use username/password when checking the computer on which the software runs.

Automation error: probably a Windows DCOM issue. see following support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300367/

• ksmithksmith
    Thanks for your quick response. I removed the username and password for the local check, and now it gives me the "Automation error."
  • ksmithksmith
    Also, that KB articles does not apply to us as we have the latest service packs installed.
    "Automation error" returned by Windows points out to DCOM issues on your system.

You might want to try following knowledge base articles to see if it helps:

http://kb.serverscheck.com/index.php?page=index_v2&id=7&c=1

http://kb.serverscheck.com/index.php?page=index_v2&id=1&c=1
  • ksmithksmith
    All those things checked out OK. The funny thing is that now I can't even open serverscheck. When I open the shortcut on the desktop, I immediately get a dialog box with the automation error. This was working when i installed it earlier this morning. I'm stumped.
    As per help file, ServersCheck runs as a service (actually 2 services).

Do you get to see the main screen when connecting with your browser to http://localhost:1272 on the system running the software?

Something must be wrong on your system and I can't tell it from a distance what it is.

I would recommend trying to install it on a different machine. As per requirements, we recommend installing ServersCheck on a dedicated machine.
  • ksmithksmith
    Yes, that does work. I'm back in the interface and back to my original problem...
    Automation error is a Windows error not generated by ServersCheck but by the underlying Windows communication protocols.

As stated in my previous post:

"I would recommend trying to install it on a different machine. As per requirements, we recommend installing ServersCheck on a dedicated machine."
  • ksmithksmith
    I understand that it is a windows configuration problem. Serverscheck WAS on a different system yesterday. Today I'm trying it on a different one with the same issue. I get errors, for the SERVICE check only, whether it is checking the local machine or a remote machine.
    Understood. Here is a set of questions:

1/ Monitoring Service has admin rights?

2/ The service name you use is the correct service name?

3/ If IIS is installed on the host, what does a service check for W3SVC return as error?

• ksmithksmith
    1/ The service is being run as a Domain Administrator user

2/Correct

3/ It worked! Running a check on a host with IIS running check out successfully. Strange. I then tried checking the "Server" service (the one i've been trying to check), and that worked too. At least we're making some progress.

I also said earlier that all other windows checks are working properly. Not so--the process check on one of the hosts is now returning the automation error. I'm pretty sure this one was working at one time, but I can't be positive. The process check IS working on a different host. All machines are running Windows 2003 Server.
    If the IIS check worked, then it is not related to the check.

I can either think of an incorrect service name or a Windows 2003 configuration setting that is not correct.

We don't have any other info in our knowledge base regarding the "automation error" (= not reported before) so it is hard to tell you what the cause is (since it is a Windows error)
This discussion has been closed.