New guy here

pcs800pcs800
Ok, why do i see "unlinked Rules" on the main page under devices? I have set up 3 rules to check a few servers while we evaluate the product.

Isn't this like a group that my rules are under?

How do i change that to say "my group" or whatever.

Comments

• pcs800pcs800
    I figured this out. But I guess I do not understand the difference between devices and groups. Why do I need both? The device is the machine that SC is installed on right?

Also, what if the line that this pc is on goes down, every rule will fail. Then when it comes back online I will get a load of alerts?????
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    1/ Devices are computers, routers etc... to which you want to link rules to. Example: disk space check, memory check are linked to one server = one device

Groups are more used for logical entities. For example you could be monitoring 2 computer rooms and each computer room has multiple devices.

2/ ServersCheck knows the concept of rule dependency (see the alerting options of a rule). When a rule depends on another, then that rule will not be executed if the parent rule failed. In order to avoid a whole set of alerts or so-called false positives, you would for example first create a PING rule to the device. All other rules for that device will depend on the PING rule. If the PING rule fails then all other rules are halted.
  • pcs800pcs800
    Create a ping rule to 127.0.0.1? and put it at the top?

if devices are computers, routers, etc. Then why is that the top level of the chain? Example: Router 1, I have to put in the ip and other info for it. How does it make sense to put other devices under that as groups? Or am I putting a bunch rules on one node? Like ping this router, also traceroute this router, also etc....
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    You don't need to put a ping rule at the top. Just make the rules depend on it that should depend on it.

Device= ping this router, tracert this router, ....

Groups= device 1, device 2, ....
This discussion has been closed.