What does this mean?

pcs800pcs800
Email sent through ServersCheck's backup email server as alert could not be sent through the email server that was defined. Please verify

I still get the alerts, but they always say this. What does it mean? If the email server was down, i wouldn't get the email.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    This means that your webserver was unable to take the message for delivery so the software automatically tried it through our mail server. Which it did.

Reconfigure your settings for email servers (either built-in mail server or external)
  • Ok i figured it out.

I had it set to go through your server already since ours is one of the checks we have the software perform.

It was my dns settings that prevented the app from resolving your email server address. I just added an external dns entry and it worked immediately without the message i posted above.

Thanks for the reply though.
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    For your information:

The internal mail server (built-in one) is not ours. It is a mail server that is embedded in the mail server you installed.

It delivers directly the email to the target mail server and for that it needs to be able to do a DNS lookup of the target email address (MX lookup).

Our mail server is only being used if the primary mail server (internal or external) fails.
  • Ahh ok, I did not know that. I was under the impression that you had the app set up to deliver through your email server. But it installs it's own SMTP service???? The machine I have it installed on does not run a maill server app.

In any case, the dns was not getting resolved for something or another and it is ok now.
This discussion has been closed.