Bandwidth Reporting

danwestmandanwestman
Greetings

I have noticed that when i generate a bandwidth report for one of our boxes, if I use the values for report time frame:

from - 10/30/06 00:00:00

to - 10/30/06 15:00:00

I get 1.18GB of (total outgoing data) transfer for the timeframe.

Seems logical.

But if I back the timeframe off (restrict) to these values:

from - 10/30/06 00:00:00

to - 10/30/06 13:00:00

I get 1.21GB of (total outgoing data) transfer for the timeframe.

That shouldn't be possible.

Furthermore, when I try to confirm these values with our Switch's value for this interface, it's off (in the case of 00:00->15:00) by nearly a factor of 2.

Something's the matter with Timmy, it seems. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

--dan

Comments

• danwestmandanwestman
    Also, FYI, all interfaces and incoming octets/ outgoing octets SNMP values have been checked, checked again, and cross-checked time and again.

Regards,

--dan
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    1. Regarding the difference in results: this behaviour has not been replicated by another user to date. You would need to check the data in rrd database to see what values are stored.

2. Regarding the difference with the switch: factor 2 -> Switch reporting twice the amount of traffic or the opposite?
  • danwestmandanwestman
    Responses:

1. k... checked the database tables, happy to paste the values observed

2. The switch almost consistently shows less transfer, but the values from the reports seem to be all over the place. Is there a known issue with Gigabit ethernet connectors on Win2K3? Assuming SNMP v2c here, wit 64 bit counters for GbE - if that's not the case, then perhaps that's the problem?

Kind Regards,

--dan
    Dan,

A similar issue was reported by a customer yesterday. We found an issue in the bandwidth reporting (not monitoring) when the check interval is less than the graph interval.

Since last night we have been working on this and we should have a fix shortly out.
    Dan,

the issue has been resolved and a new version has been posted.

You can download the latest version or use the update.exe to upgrade. In some situations the update.exe might fail (typically when not all ServersCheck services are stopped) or the newly installed version might not run correctly. In such situations please perform the upgrade as outlined on following url:

http://kb.serverscheck.com/index.php?page=index_v2&id=12&c=5
    Dan,

have you downloaded the latest release?

Did it solve the issue you reported?
This discussion has been closed.