SMS Alerts

trevorwtrevorw
HI,

I am now going through the ALert configurations and trying to set up the Alert via SMS through locally attached modem. I have the modem connected and working no problem. however when I select UK (Orange) TAP I get number unobtainable and this is the same for the remainder of the UK ones.

Trevor

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Please check with your mobile operator what their new TAP numbers may be.

It also may be that you have to dial a 0 in front of the number (for example when going through a PABX)
    A quick search on the Internet showed that there is only one TAP number for Orange Fleet (?) :

Orange Fleet UK, 44 07973 10061

I know that some US based providers have discontinued the support of inbound TAP calling (high maintenance cost for them and not that reliable). Alternative options are to use a GSM modem or Internet via ClickATell (only works if your system is online)
    I have invistigated it a bit further and could find following number. I called it and had modems answering it.

+44 7785499993 for Orange TAP

The number you will need to enter (when calling from within the UK) is: 07785499993
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Tried it and it failed, also tried a few others from different providers.

The numbe ryou have found identifies it's self as VodaTap. And fails to login.

I have dropped an email to Orange for the information, will follow up with a call tomorrow.

Trevor
    Trevor,

thanks for the update. Let me know what they told you. We can then update our providers list and help file accordingly so that it might help other users.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Hi Orange pulled support for this about year and half ago.

Thanks for the information. Alternative solution would be GSM modem or ClickATell (subscription based service requiring Internet connection)
  • trevorwtrevorw
    I have a GSMmodem attached which is essentially a mobile phone. How does ServersCheck integrate withit to send the alert ?
    Very simple:

1/ Make sure you have release 6.9.1 running

2/ Select GSM modem as the method of sending SMS messages

3/ Enter the SMSC number (the one defined in your mobile phone)

4/ Set the COM port that is used for the GSM modem

In the alert settings enter the phone number as you would use when sending a SMS message via the mobile phone.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Thanks- Running 6.8.2 so guess I need to upgrade.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    OK, now running 6.9.1. Attached a Burnside desktop mobile which is on the UK Orange network. Using thwe GSM modem setting tried a test message and nothing happens. I have looked for th elog but not able to locate it. Could you point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Trevor
    Run the s-alerts.exe in debug mode (see knowledge on running in debug mode). This will provide additional information.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Run d bug and yep it showed the app trying to send the SMS. When I do the test settings on the configuration page nothing happens.

The GSM modem is a Burnside desktop mobile, I have managed to send an sms message from the device it's self so I know that bit works.

Any ideas ?

Trevor
    I am not familiar with the Burnside desktop mobile model.

I assume that the SIM Card does not ask for authentication (this needs to be disabled).

Try also following: open hyperterminal using the COM port of the GSM modem and close it. Then try sending a SMS again
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Hi,

OK I have re-installed and teste using hyperterminal and all is ok. Well that is until I try to send an SMS from servers check and nothing absolutly nothing !!

The Desktop Mobile uses a MC55 GSM module which I am lead to believe is highly compatable.

Run the debug mode and it showed nothing no errors reported

Open to ideas from the floor.
    I tried to find your customer ID based on your forum login but could not find any license linked it; this helps in seeing what product you have licensed from us.

Although I don't suspect it to be related to the type of version, one never knows.

I have tested it with my mobile phone K800i and Siemens TC65 and both worked fine on a platform Win XP installed from scratch.

As we don't have the GSM modem you have it, it is not possible to determine what the issue may be.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    The copy I am using is licensed to CMS in Blackburn

Contact Neil Farnworth. I am one of their customers doing the bulk of local testing we will then be linking through to their monitoring system when we are happy everything is OK. The version is I believe 6.9.1 MX2 -msp ??

That is very strange, I will see if I can locate a data cable for my Sony K750I and test it then to see what happens. I have a contact with the device manufacturer also now.

Thanks
  • trevorwtrevorw
    HI Tried my K750I and no joy exactly the same.

Open to suggestions as this is the last thing I need to get resolved now
    Unfortunately it is not possible to see for us what could be the cause without sitting behind your system.

There are 2 options:

1/ Use a mobile operator who still supports SMS via dial-up

2/ Use the ClickATell Service
  • trevorwtrevorw
    nice optioons but I would like to get this resolved.

Does servers check rely on any services on the client machine to be running ?

There must be some reason it is not working onmy PC when it does on yours and I woud like to locate the issue.
    Our developers are going to make a new build of the s-alerts.exe for you with additional debugging.

I will post it here when it's ready.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Many thanks.

Trevor,

download the s-alerts.zip from following url:

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/s-alerts.zip

Make sure to run it in debug mode and perform a test sms. Reply with the debug output.

I tested it on a new build of Win2003 with a Sony K750i and it worked fine.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Hi Tested and did nothing different.

Error log

Inavlid COMPROP block length=66 at s-alerts.pl line 1219

can't open device: com5 at s-alerts.pl line 1219

Just tested Hyper Terminal and it opens the device no problems done AT commands and returned OK. I have even sent an SMS using AT commands through Hyperterminal, so I know the thing will send them

Thanks

Trevor
    But this is not the output I asked for.

It should be something like:

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:53 2006 debug info: SMS|X|+32475|X|test message sent from ServersCheck|X||X||X||X|Test|X||X||X||X||X||X||X|

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:53 2006 processing alert ID

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:59 2006 CSCA set to +32475161616

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:59 2006 Serial port set to COM7

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:59 2006 Pin code set to 0000 - Pin code has to be desactivated

# Tue Dec 12 14:12:59 2006 connection made on port COM7
  • trevorwtrevorw
    Nothing get's written to the debug file just the error message back to console as indicated before. This would suggest that servers check is not even opening the com port .

The GSM modem is plugged into a USB Port does this make a difference as I have just googled the error and some messages indicate no support for USB modems ???
    If you start up the s-alerts.exe, then it always sends info to the console. It starts with:

#

#

# ServersCheck Alerting & Notification Component

# version 6.9.0

#

#

# (c) Copyright 2003-2006 - ServersCheck BVBA

# www.serverscheck.com

#

When an alert is triggered it start with the first line as in my previous post. It seems impossible to my knowledge that it justs sends the info you have as output in the debug mode to the console. If it is like that then please upload a screen capture and send me the url so that I can have a look at the console window.

The test I did this morning was with a K750i using a USB cable.
  • trevorwtrevorw
    That information is there and nothing else the other error as indicated above is passed back to the command prompt window.
    Just to make sure:

1/ You have one instance of the s-alerts.exe running that was started from the command prompt as it should per knowledge base when starting a component in debug mode

2/ It does not send the information to the console as in my previous post, just the output you gave. Correct?

• trevorwtrevorw
    yes one instance of s-alerts

Debug file created with header text as you stated

When I run the test sms configuration the following is passed back to the command prompt

Inavlid COMPROP block length=66 at s-alerts.pl line 1219

This discussion has been closed.