service won’t start

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
I have a win2000 machine I am trying to run the Standard version on. I at first donwloaded the older 2.1 version, and tried to get it to work, but, while it said it had started, it never showed any status or sent any alerts. So I tried the new 2.5 version, and when I try to start the service it just hangs. All it says is, "The ServerCheck service is currently ." Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Can you confirm that the service is installed. If you receive the message 'The ServersCheck service is currently ." then this means that it actually can not find the find the service. Go to your services manager and check if you can see it in the list. If not then try following:

1. open the command window (click on Start > Run and type 'cmd')

2. go in your Dos console to the serverscheck directory

3. type then 's-service.exe -install'

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Thanks it installed now. However, it still doesn't seem to be working. Here are the settings I have for the service:

Startup type: Manual
    No starting parameters
    Log on as: Local System account (Allow service to interact with desktop is checked)

Here are the settings I have for the active web site check I have:

Min service level: 97%
    #retries before check: 3
    url: http://www.time-and-money.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgiBR color=#000000content: blabber
    (blabber is not contained on page, should fail check)
    Check frequency: 5
    Check frequency when down: 5
    when not to check: (left blank)
    Generate an alert when page returns error: yes
    Generate alert when page download (blank)
    e-mail address: jklewis@time-and-money.com

I have also set the SMTP server in the general settings and it is correct. Logfiles, HTML, and Graphs are all set to true. However, when I go to the servercheck directory all log files are of size 0 and there is no new html. The only programs that show up in processes is s-server.exe and s-interactive.exe. When I go to start the service in s-interactive.exe it says it is started. Then if I switch back to another part of the menu and go back it then says the service is stopped. It would appear that it is shutting itself off, but I am not sure why.

• AdministratorAdministrator
    We are to track down the problem and it was related to SMTP authentication. If you are using ServersCheck v2.5.0 and you are using SMTP authentication for alerting then please download this patch at

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/s-service.zip

Install this executable over your existing one.

I am having the same problem with Service Not Starting Properly, but I found out my problem. So I just want to pass it along.

I had 4 agents configured, (2 Ping, 1 URL, 1 TCP).

When I start the service, it would say running. When I would refresh the screen or come back to teh service screen it would say it was stopped. I fiddled with this for a few days (both version 2.5.0 and 2.5.1). Even downloaded teh new executable s-service.exe file

It actually turned out that one of my agents was not configured properly. On the ping, i forgot to put the server name. I put the server name on the description, but forgot to put it in the configuration. After that, it worked just fine.

It would be nice if there was somethign that tell you when you miss major items like that.

This was actually Posted by Me :) And not the Original Poster.

Quote: Originally posted by Guest on 30 May 2003

I am having the same problem with Service Not Starting Properly, but I found out my problem. So I just want to pass it along.

I had 4 agents configured, (2 Ping, 1 URL, 1 TCP).

When I start the service, it would say running. When I would refresh the screen or come back to teh service screen it would say it was stopped. I fiddled with this for a few days (both version 2.5.0 and 2.5.1). Even downloaded teh new executable s-service.exe file

It actually turned out that one of my agents was not configured properly. On the ping, i forgot to put the server name. I put the server name on the description, but forgot to put it in the configuration. After that, it worked just fine.

It would be nice if there was somethign that tell you when you miss major items like that.

This discussion has been closed.