SMTP Test Fails

reverettreverett
Hello,

I am currently evaluating ServersCheck and really like what I see. At this point I have not been able to send a SMTP test email. From the test machine running SC I am able to telnet our SMTP server on port 25 and use a different software package to complete the same type of SMTP test. I have tried every configuration option available with no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randall

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    What option have you set for sending out email alerts:

- internal mail server

- external smtp server

• reverettreverett
    Sorry... External.
    Assuming no local Antivirus software or personal firewall is running that blocks ServersCheck from sending out emails

Download the smtp.conf file from following url:

http://files.serverscheck.net/debug/smtp.conf

Copy the file in the alerts subdirectory of ServersCheck

Open it with notepad and set it to your settings.

From the command prompt in the alerts subdirectory type following:

alert_smtp smtp

It will create a file called SMTP.log; reply with the content of that log

• reverettreverett
    I verified the rule bocking port 25 in McAfee is disabled. I also used the telnet test and the smtp send from NetScanTools to verify. I will complete this and get back to you. Thank you.
  • reverettreverett
    smtp.log contained a simple "OK" and I received an email (my address was set as the destination). Any idea why this worked but the test in SC does not?

Thanks!!!
    OK so now we know the SMTP component works.

What is the first line of your serverscheck.conf file (remove any passwords)
  • reverettreverett
    Updated external mail settings to exactly match what was in smtp.conf and received the following. I've changed our domain as I don't want my address posted.

Please find below the results of the test:

# Sending SMTP alert to reverett@ourdomain.com

# Using external mail server 10.0.0.37

# Send failed:

• reverettreverett
    Line reads (again, I have changed the domain name):

SMTP:<X><X><X>servcheck@ourdomain.com<X>%l is %s<X>status of %l (%g) changed to %s at %t. Reason: %r<X>10.0.0.37<X><X><X>servcheck@ourdomain.com<X>%l is %s<X>status of %l (%g - %d) changed to %s at %t. Reason: %e .<X>2
    I am thinking that it might be due to the service settings as it works under your account but not when called through the webservice (running under the local system account by default)

Can you configure the ServersCheck services to run under a Windows account?
  • reverettreverett
    Does it need to be a local account?

I'm pretty sure I had this setup as I cheked the allow to interact with the desktop and saw the command prompt windows (4-5) and the service running window.
  • reverettreverett
    Both services show automatic and started. Both are set to login log on as a local system account but there is no account information for either.
    Local account typically restrict a service from making outbound connections. You can only make it interact with desktop from the local account.

It could be that your McAfee is blocking it when running as a service. Too often have we seen antivirus software and similar being the root cause of an issue like this.

Do please following

1/ Set services to run under windows account

2/ Disable McAfee completly and the services
  • reverettreverett
    I started by creating a local account, added it to the local admin group and entered its credentials in both services. Upon reboot I started recieving emails.

One snag. As soon as I did this most of my rules started showing down with an "access denied" under Last Error.

I have been using a unique account created for SC that was added to the Domain Admin group. Everything worked great until I changed the credentials for the two services.

Any thoughts?
  • reverettreverett
    I guess I'm not clear on the access rights. Am I okay to use a domain account when setting up the rules or should it be a local account on each server?
    Started receiving emails -> that's a good thing already.

Please have the 2 services run under the account of the Domain Admin group and try again.

It is a bit tricky (thanks to Windows security) but it should work that way.
  • reverettreverett
    Just to clarify...

You want me to have both services AND all the rules I've created use the same domain account, correct?
    Just the services. The credentials in the rules can remain unchanged.
  • reverettreverett
    We're good to go. One other question? Can you explain the Current Service Level data? We continue to hover around 27-35% with the graph mostly red. I'm guessing I missed something while setting up the rules but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for all your help.
    Current service level is calculated by adding the service level of each group (group view) or each device (device view) or each rule (all rules view) and then defined by the number of groups/devices/rules
This discussion has been closed.