MSP Ed. Used Bandwith

IntercareIntercare
Hello,

We are currently testing the SC Prof. trial edition.

Goal is to buy a MX2 Enterprise ed. and to install the Prof. Ed. as an agent at our customers sites.

Which bandwith do I need to send the alerts via internet?

Is it enough to open certain ports at both firewalls to retrieve the alerts or is it more complicated?

I guess I have to fill in one of our public ip addresses in the agent at the customers site?

with kind regards,

Johan

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    In the MSP edition the agents (Professional Editions) send out the data over the UDP protocol to a central server (MX2).

The central server needs to have a public IP (or through port forwarding be publicly visible) to which the UDP data is sent. The port is typically 5555

The central server receives the UDP data and then processes it in terms of detecting if it has to send out an alert or not. The alerts can also be sent from the agent.

In terms size of UDP data being sent this depends on a set of parameters; mainly the frequency of a check and how many rules you have defined. A UDP packet is around 1KB.

With the MSP licenses, you will see an option in the "General Settings" screen to enter the IP address of the Central Server. You then need to restart the system and the status of each rule will be sent to the central server. Upon purchase a document describing this is being provided.
  • IntercareIntercare
    Thx a lot for the quick and clear explanation.

One other question: Can I install a SQL Server 2005 as database for the MX2 version?

Johan
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    ServersCheck always uses its internal data structure to store check counter data (/data subdirectory) or graphs data (/serverscheck_databases directory)

The simple reason behind this is that a failing database server could be a single point of failure.

However you can also have ServersCheck store the status of each check in an ODBC database (ie SQL Server). This enables you to create custom views etc...

A sample Access database is installed with the trial version in the c: root directory.
This discussion has been closed.